[Special Summer Sale] 40% OFF All Magento 2 Themes

Cart

Protect against SQL injection

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    tom-pouce
    Participant

I’m developing a website and I’m trying to secure the connection part.

I used the addslashes function on $login to stop SQL injection but some friends told me that’s not enough security. However, they didn’t show me how to exploit this vulnerability.

How can I / could you break this code?
    How can I secure it?

<?php

if ( isset($_POST) && (!empty($_POST['login'])) && (!empty($_POST['password'])) )
        {
            extract($_POST);
            $sql = "SELECT pseudo, sex, city, pwd FROM auth WHERE pseudo = '".addslashes($login)."'";
            $req = mysql_query($sql) or die('Erreur SQL');
            if (mysql_num_rows($req) > 0)
            {
                $data = mysql_fetch_assoc($req);
                if ($password == $data['pwd'])
                {
                    $loginOK = true;
                }
            }
        }
        ?>

alexn
    Participant

You should use mysql_real_escape_string for escaping string input parameters in a query. Use type casting to sanitize numeric parameters and whitelisting to sanitize identifiers.

In the referenced PHP page, there is an example of a sql injection in a login form.

A better solution would be to use prepared statements, you can do this by using PDO or mysqli.

matt-lowden
    Participant

Rather than addslashes you should use mysql_real_escape_string.

diagonalbatman
    Participant

Use:

mysql_real_escape_string($inputToClean);

There’s another gaping security hole – extract. It may save you from typing a few characters, but opens up holes too numerous to mention, for it will overwrite any global variables.

What happens if I post this?

$_POST {
        'login' => 'Admin',
        'loginOK' => 1
    }

Guess what, $loginOK is now == 1 , and I’ll be logged in as Admin.

Save yourself a lot of grief later, and just use the variables you want to use, instead of relying on the horrible hack that is extract.

lvaro-gonzlez
    Participant

Apart from the usage of addslashes(), these are some random issues found in this code:

• isset($_POST) is always TRUE, unless you run it from the command line. You can probably remove it.
    • empty() is very tricky. For instance, if $password = '0' then empty($password) is TRUE.
    • You can do this: if( isset($_POST['login']) && $_POST['login']!='' ){}
    • extract($_POST) is a huge vulnerability: anyone can set variables in your code from outside.
    • $password == $data['pwd'] suggests that you are storing plain text passwords in your database. That’s a terrible practice. Google for “salted password”.
    • You can also do $loginOK = $password == $data['pwd'];. Do you realise why? 😉

You are storing your passwords in plaintext! That’s a major security issue if ever I saw one. What to do about that: at least use a (per-user) salted hash of the password, as seen e.g. here.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.